Monday, December 6, 2010

Does Gold Have an End?!?!

If only I had listened to my little brother?  Who knew that he would know more about investing than I do?  He told me to buy gold 2 years ago, and I didn't.  Horrible of me.

Now, I sit and look at it and wonder - how much higher can it go?  Does it have an end?  If I get in now will I be one of those sad sad cases who chased a stock at its high?  Hmmmm....

What is amazing to me is that when trading everything seems so clear and accurate when looking backwards!  It is very hard to predict what will happen in the future.  So, I suppose if I were to buy into gold now and it was to fall right after, then I would say, "Oh yes, that was so clear.  Why did I buy in?"  And, the opposite is true.  If I were to not buy into gold and then it continues to go up the next year I would say, "Oh yes, that was so clear.  Why didn't I buy in?"

In the end, I am learning more and more that the stock market is similar to life in some important ways:

1. Hindsight is 20/20.
2. It is only after decisions have been made that we learn the lessons.
3. Everything that goes up, must come down, we just never know when.
4. You can't enjoy the ride unless you get on.
5. You can't experience the ride at all unless you get on.
6. Regrets and second guessing only leads to more regrets and second guessing.

And, most important lesson of today for me -

Being open to and accepting the present moment makes all the difference.

So, the answer to "does gold have an end?"  Nobody knows for sure and I'm okay with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment